Friday, January 4, 2008

Night: 2

Journal
#2
December 26, 2007
Page 12 paragraph 4
Quote:
"It wasn't until after the war that I learned who it was that had knocked. It was an inspector in the Hungarian police, a friend of my father. Before we went into the ghetto, he had said to us: 'Don't worry. If you're in any danger, I'll warn you.' If he could have spoken to us that evening, we could perhaps have fled....But by the timewe had managed to open the window, it was too late. There was no one outside."

I would be so mad if I later learned that I could have prevented my family from getting split up and killed. Elie must have been devastated when he learned this. It had to happen though, because if he hadn't gone through his experiences in consentration camps, he never would have written Night for the world to read and learn about what it was like to live like he had to live. He may never have become an author. All of this stuff has to happen to each person, it defines each person to shape us to make us who we are and are going to be. It shaped Elie to be an author that told the inside story about being in a consentration camp.

No comments: