Friday, January 4, 2008

Night: 9

Journal
#9
December 27, 2007
Page 82 paragraph 1
Quote:
"At my side marched a young Polish lad called Zalman...He was suddenly seized with cramp in the stomach. 'I've got stomach ache,' he whispered to me. He could not go on. He had to stop for a moment. I begged him: 'Wait a bit, Zalman. We shall all be stopping soon. We're not going to run like this till the end of the world.' But as he ran he began to undo his buttons, crying: 'I can't go on any longer. My stomach's bursting....' ...His trousers lowered, he let himself sink down. I do not hink it can have been the SS who finished him, because no one had noticed. He must have been trampled to death beneath the feet of the thousands of men who followed us."

When the Jews had to run from one camp to another, they had to keep going and not stop, or they would be trampled or shot. I don't know how they did it, I know I wouldn't and I am better fed than they are. All that must have kept them going was the though that if they stopped they would die, and if they couldn't take anymore of it, they had to face the fact that they were going to die. I would hate to have to run for so long and I would hate to die, they were treated so unfairly, its really sad to think that they had to go through all of this. Even if they went through all of this they may die from the cold.

No comments: