Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Bell Jar: Chapter 1

Journal Entry
#1
October 31, 2007
Chapter 1
Page 2 paragraph 2
Quote:
"I know something was wrong with me that summer, because all I could think about was the Rosenbergs and how stupid I'd been to buy all those uncomfortable, expensive clothes, hanging limp as fish in my closet, and how all the little successes I'd totted up so happily at college fizzled to nothing outside the slick marble and plate glass fronts along Madison Avenue."

Esther, the protagonist, knows that something is wrong with herself, but we don't know what. She says that she has worked hard to get to college, but when she got there she didn't care. Her goal was to get to college, but then she achieved that goal, what was she supposed to do then. She needed to make a goal that went beyond college. She needs to take a vacation to just forget and get her thoughts figured out so that she can concentrate on what is important to her.

No comments: