Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Catcher in the Rye: Chapter 2

Journal Entry
#3
September 23, 2003
Chapter 2
Page 12 paragraph 2
Quote:
"Dear Mr. Spencer. That is all I know about the Egyptians. I can't seem to get very interested in them although your lectures are very interesting. It is all right with me if you flunk me though as I am flunking everything else except English anyway. Respectfully yours, Holden Caulfield."

Holden really doesn't seem to care that he is failing, because if he did care he wouldn't have written this note to Mr. Spencer. It's like when a coach asks a player if they are ready to play on the court, you may not be ready, but if you want to play on the court sometime, you always tell the coach yes, unless you are seriously hurt. I did that in 8th grade, my coach asked if I was ready to play, and I said sure I guess, wrong answer, so I didn't end up playing. You just don't write a note telling your teacher it is okay for them to fail you because really down deep you do care. The note makes them think you really don't care, so they can fail you even if you were going to pass. Think positive, and don't say anything stupid, like it's okay to fail me, because it gives the teacher the right to fail you.

No comments: