Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Catcher in the Rye: Chapter 3

Journal Entry
#5
September 23, 2007
Chapter 3
Page 16 paragraph 1
Quote:
"I am the most terific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say that I am going to the opera. It's terrible. So when I told old Spencer that I had to go to the gym and get my equiptment and stuff, that was a sheer lie. I don't even keep my goddam equiptment in the gym."

Holden does seem very immature, to think that someone really cares that he's lying about where he is going. People lie all the time, and when tell someone that you have to go to the gym, and you don't they don't really care, when you are just coming to visit them and want to leave. Little kids think that it is funny when they can 'lie' and get away with it. When it is something more important and you lie, you might get caught and get in trouble, and people might get mad at you, but when you just want to leave someones house nobody cares.

2 comments:

#maywisor said...

How is this related to anything about the quote?

#maywisor said...

what you said, i mean.